Our mission is to promote wellness of older adults through recreational, educational, vocational and social opportunities as well as serve as a referral source for services available within the Lowcountry area. Activities and programming of the center will emphasize creating and maintaining independence in all phases of life.
- To develop meaningful opportunities and teach skills through a variety of activities.
- To promote health and wellness to ensure a better quality of life.
- To encourage opportunities for interactions with the community and other participant for social enrichment.
- To provide leadership opportunities allowing participants to use their interests and life experiences.
- To offer services and life-long learning opportunities that enrich and enhance participants’ quality of life and positive feelings of self-worth.
- To design a program scope that encourages continued independence for participants.
- Increase personal satisfaction through freedom, self-actualization, adventure, challenges and creativity.
- Improve cardiovascular functioning, reduce hypertension, control diabetes, reduce osteoporosis, decrease body fat, increase muscle strength and flexibility, increase lung capacity and reduce incidence of disease and manage chronic illness.
- Create a sense of wellness, control stress and reduce depression and anxiety.
- Improve personal development through self-confidence, independence, leadership, creativity, spiritual growth and cognitive efficiency.
- Create pride in the community and satisfaction with the quality of life in Charleston.
- Reduce social alienation and create a sense of belonging.
- Create and identity a sense of community integration through social outlets.
Reduce health costs and improve the health of senior adults.
Enhance local economy by encouraging travel, tourism and adding to the region’s appeal as a relocation/retirement option.
- Develop an environmental ethic with focus on protection, understanding, diversity and preservation.